- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for the pasta water
- 2 (16-ounce) packages contemporary or frozen potato gnocchi
- 6 tablespoons (3/four stick) unsalted butter
- 1/Three cup all-purpose flour
- Three cups entire or 2% milk
- eight ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 1/2 packed cups)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/four teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- 1/four teaspoon paprika
- 3/four cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Finely chopped contemporary basil or parsley leaves, for serving
- Organize a rack within the high third of the oven (about 6 to eight inches from the broiler component), and warmth to 400°F. In the meantime, convey a big pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and prepare dinner till al dente, about Three minutes or in line with bundle directions. Drain and put aside.
- Soften the butter in a 10- or 12-inch forged iron or different ovenproof high-sided skillet over medium warmth. Sprinkle within the flour and whisk till aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes. Whereas whisking always, slowly pour within the milk and proceed whisking till easy. Change to a wood spoon and proceed cooking, stirring always, till the sauce is noticeably thickened and coats the again of the spoon, about 2 minutes.
- Take away the pan from the warmth. Stir within the cheddar one handful at a time till melted and easy. Stir within the mustard, pepper, salt, paprika, and half the Parmesan. Add the cooked gnocchi and stir gently till the gnocchi is evenly coated with sauce. Prime with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake till the sauce is effervescent, 10 to 12 minutes. Activate the broiler and broil till the highest is golden-brown, 2 to four minutes. Take away from the oven and relaxation for five to 10 minutes. Prime with basil or parsley earlier than serving.