Skip to content
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- the zest from 1 orange zest
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups (256 g) flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups contemporary cranberries
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with orange zest and 1 cup of the sugar till mild and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat till mixed. In the meantime, toss the cranberries with 2 tablespoons of flour, then whisk collectively the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour combination to the batter just a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold within the cranberries.
- Grease a 9-inch sq. baking pan (or one thing comparable) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Unfold batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes, then test for doneness by touching the highest gently or by inserting a toothpick. If obligatory, return pan to oven, test each 5 minutes or so — it took my cake just a little bit over 45 minutes to cook dinner. (Observe: Baking for so long as 50 minutes could be obligatory, particularly when you made the batter upfront.) Let cool a minimum of 15 minutes earlier than serving.