Vegan nut roast
- 50 g pine nuts , plus further for adorning
- 50 g linseed
- 50 g sunflower seeds
- 100 g unsweetened chestnut purée
- 50 g gluten-free vegetarian suet
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- gluten-flour for dusting
FOR THE SPINACH TOPPING:
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 300 g chestnut mushrooms , sliced
- 260 g child leaf spinach , or frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 100 g silken tofu
- 1 pinch of floor nutmeg
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/Four candy potato
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gasoline 4. Unfold out the nuts and seeds on a baking tray and toast within the oven for five–6 minutes. Switch to a meals processor, together with the chestnut purée, suet and maple syrup, and blitz till it comes collectively right into a ball. It will likely be sticky to start with, so cease and scrape the edges as you go.
- Place a big sheet of baking parchment on a piece floor and sit the dough on it. Then, with numerous gluten-free flour in your fingers and rolling pin, roll out the dough as thinly as attainable (lower than 5mm).
- Should you’re making particular person tartlets, oil and flour 4 10cm loose-bottomed tart tins, then reduce the pastry to dimension. For 1 giant tart, roll out the dough and reduce to the dimensions of a big, shallow baking tin, and switch to the tin utilizing a fish slice. Prick the pastry throughout with a fork, cowl with baking parchment, fill with baking beans or rice and bake blind for 12–15 minutes. Depart to chill within the tray, and preserve the oven on.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork, cover with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans or rice and bake blind for 12 to 15 minutes. Leave to cool in the tray, and keep the oven on.
- Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms. Heat 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil in a pan over a medium heat, then sauté the mushrooms for 6 to 8 minutes, until golden. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil and wilt the spinach (or heat through if frozen) along with the pepper. Blitz the spinach, avocado flesh, tofu, nutmeg and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Thinly slice the sweet potato using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, creating a pile of peelings. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a small pan, then fry the peelings over a high heat, turning occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes, until just turning crisp.
- Assemble the tart by spreading the spinach mixture over the baked and cooled tart base. Lay the mushrooms on top, and decorate with the sweet potato slivers and a scattering of toasted pine nuts. Eat at room temperature, or heat it up, if you like.